It looks like someone somewhere is planning a mass heart attack for Xiaomi fans and loyalists who have been patiently waiting for and anticipating the release of the Xiaomi Mi 5s. In the past few weeks, there have been a lot of teasers and leaks about Xiaomi’s upcoming flagship smartphone, and everyone has been so upbeat about it that no one seems to realize that Xiaomi has never officially mentioned that it has an Mi 5s in the works. Now, Xiaomi China has confirmed that indeed, there might not be a Xiaomi Mi 5s after all, in response to an inquiry by its followers on a Chinese social media site. The picture below says it all.
To show you the extent to which everyone has come to accept the reality of the launch of a Xiaomi Mi 5s, here is our timeline of the Mi 5s here on Xiaomi Today:
Xiaomi Today – Xiaomi Mi 5s Timeline
- Xiaomi Mi 5s & Note 2 Leaked Specs
- Xiaomi Mi 5s Image leaks Samsung dual camera module
- Xiaomi Mi 5s & Note 2 Pricing & Launch Details
- Xiaomi Mi 5s coming with pressure sensitive display
- Xiaomi Mi 5s may feature iPhone like 3D Touch sensitive screen
- Xiaomi opens the way for Mi 5s & Note 2
- 3D Touch expected on Xiaomi Mi 5s and Note 2
- Xiaomi Mi 5s Complete Specs and Price
- Xiaomi Mi 5s confirmed releasing alongside two other flagships
- Xiaomi Mi 5S To Be World’s First ‘Under Glass’ Fingerprint Scanner Device
- Xiaomi Mi 5s to Sport Snapdragon 821
- Xiaomi Mi 5S With Under Glass Fingerprint Scanner Spotted in Photos
- Xiaomi Mi 5s/5s Plus coming on September 27
- Xiaomi Confirmed September 27 To Be Launch Date of Mi 5S and 5S Plus
- Xiaomi Mi 5S Mi Pay feature leaked – Will support NFC Chip!
- Xiaomi Mi 5S Outruns LeEco Le Pro 3 In A Benchmark Test
- Xiaomi Mi 5 price reduced further, possibly because of upcoming Mi 5s release
- Xiaomi Mi 5S Teaser Boasts Of Impressive Benchmark
- Before Xiaomi Mi 5S Release Let’s Look At Previous Gen Xiaomi Posters
- Xiaomi Mi 5S And Mi 5S Plus Priced At 1999 Yuan And 2999 Yuan
- Xiaomi Mi 5S Dual Camera: Watch Out, iPhone 7 Plus
- Xiaomi Mi 5S Camera Impresses With Stunning Photo
So you see, there has been so much hullabaloo about the Xiaomi Mi 5s that the reality of the name not existing would be a big blow to a lot of Xiaomi Mi 5s fans. We only hope that this is one of the pre-launch dramas that characterize the release of a new smartphone.
Now that there is the possibility of the non-existence of a Xiaomi Mi 5s, we might start to consider other names for the new device, because it is certain that Xiaomi is launching a new flagship on the 27th of September. Some are of the opinion that it will be called the Xiaomi Mi Note S as a successor to the Mi Note and Mi Note Pro, while other sources have it that it will be called the Xiaomi Mi Max S to succeed the Mi Max. Whatever it is, I don’t want to get involved in another round of name calling that might turn out to be a brouhaha at the end.
As a Xiaomi fan pointed out however, it’s not the name of the device that matters, it’s the specifications and features it possesses that matters. We know for sure that the flagship device that will be launched by Xiaomi on the 27th will have the following specifications:
- 5.15-inch IPS display with Full HD (1920 * 1080) pixel resolution and 3D Force Touch.
- 7.25mm thickness.
- 6GB RAM.
- 256GB, 128GB & 64GB ROM variants.
- Quad-core Snapdragon 821 Processor.
- Adreno 530 GPU.
- 16MP Rear camera with 4-axis OIS, f/1.8 aperture and PDAF.
- 13MP front camera.
- 3,490mAh Battery with Quick Charge 3.0.
- USB Type-C port and NFC.
We also know that the new Xiaomi flagship has an Antutu benchmark score of 164,119. Now that you know there might not be a Xiaomi Mi 5s, what do you think? Does it matter to you? Do let us know!